A lot has been said about what we need to do about tragedies such as Sandy Hook, Aurora, and others. Before action, thoughts need to dominate the landscape. We need to look at the American mindset as if we're looking at the collective consciousness of all of us. We are, after all, social creatures. Here's an experiment. For the next week, once every few hours, when you're awake, look into the mirror and say the following mantra:
"I will not cry.
Nothing's wrong.
Tears are for the weak.
The only help can come from an invisible hand.
Seeking help from other people means opening up.
Opening up is for the weak.
Fear, depression, bad memories, are all in my head.
Where's the invisible hand?
I must have the next big thing.
Material gains will make me whole.
I must look right.
Material gains for my family will make me a good provider.
If I cannot achieve those goals, it's my fault.
Where's the invisible hand?
I cannot turn to another.
I cannot admit weakness.
I must stand on my own,
like a grown-up.
The invisible hand isn't here.
That makes me sad.
But I'm not sad, because that makes me weak.
But if I admit not seeing the invisible hand,
then there's something wrong with me."
After a week, let me know how much your perception has significantly altered.
In addition, we have this silly "end of the world business." Doomsayers crop up all the time, but not so much as now, with this Mayan calendar bullshit. If society, as a whole, were stuffed into one person, so that person became the embodiment of all of us, that would be a depraved being, with its excesses, self-loathing, materialism, and disenfranchisement. Now, imagine whispering in that person's ear everyday, saying that they were terminally ill and had a short while to live. How would they act?
No comments:
Post a Comment