There's this joke that I read a long while back. I've refined and refurbished it to make it more accurate.
"A black man, a Latino, a white social democrat, a poor white Republican, and a billionaire were sitting at a table.
The waitress comes up to the table with a platter of 100 cookies.
The billionaire grabs the platter before it's set on the table and scoops 99 cookies into a large doggy bag. He then puts the platter with the remaining cookie in the middle of the table, turns to the poor white Republican, and says 'My friend, you better watch out. Those three are after your cookie.'"
That punchline brings home the disingenuous lie that the plutocrats have been spinning since the rise of Reagan. It's been swallowed over and over, and now the problem has come to a head with the rise of Trumpolini.
I like quotable people because, as a lover of language, it is a reflection of their way with words and thought processes. This is why it's so hard to reason with words and nuanced thinking with the "Git R Dun" crowd. I know I used an old catchphrase, but it goes to show that true words of wisdom never go out of style. To further prove my point, maybe "Happy Happy Happy" would be a more fitting reference.
Though he was a former racist, really a product of his upbringing pre-politics, I've come to respect Lyndon Johnson the more and more I read quotes from him. If a person like him can get it, anyone can.
Let's take a look at the quote that hits the nail on the head, from an off-the-cuff conversation with Bill Moyers.
"I'll tell you what's at the bottom of it," he said. "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." He said it directly, and he said it in the vernacular of his upbringing.
To anyone who reads this, what do we do?
No comments:
Post a Comment